Skip to main content

why do I post?

Why do I Post?

You look at someone’s Instagram profile.

You scroll through the pictures, watch a few reels, perhaps go back and look at something again. And somewhere between one post and the next, you have already formed an opinion about that person.

They travel a lot.

They have wonderful friends.

They seem happy.

They are doing really well.

They have a beautiful life.

We do it almost without noticing.

But lately, I have been wondering about something else.

When I post something, do I ever stop to think about why I am doing it?

Honestly, I don’t know.

Of course, I upload because I want people to see it. Otherwise, why would I put it on Instagram?

Someone goes on a holiday and posts pictures. Someone spends an evening with friends and shares it. Someone achieves something and puts it out there. Someone buys something new, visits a new place, celebrates a birthday, attends an event.

And we look at these little windows into their lives and make sense of the person through them.

But what we are really seeing is only what they have chosen to show us.

A few photographs. A few reels. A few carefully selected moments.

Not their whole life.

And yet, we are very quick to create a whole story around those fragments.

I am part of this too.

I look at people’s profiles. I make assumptions. I notice what they post and what they don’t post. And I know, of course, that people can do exactly the same with me.

Perhaps that is what makes Instagram slightly strange.

We are spectators and participants at the same time.

We watch other people’s lives while putting little pieces of our own on display.

And somewhere in between watching and being watched comes the question:

Why?

Why do I need to put this moment out there?

Why does it matter whether someone sees it?

Why do I care whether someone comments?

And here, I have to be honest.

I do care.

When I upload something, I look at the comments. If people respond, I notice it. If nobody does, I notice that too. I would be pretending if I said otherwise.

I like being appreciated.

I like knowing that something I shared connected with someone.

But I don’t want my happiness to depend on it.

There is a difference between wanting to be liked and needing to be liked.

I think that difference matters.

Perhaps what I share has also changed with time.

Earlier, it was probably more about the moment itself. A place I visited. People I was with. Something worth remembering.

Now, increasingly, I find myself sharing thoughts.

Things I have noticed.

Things I have questioned.

Things I feel strongly about.

Perhaps that is one of the changes that comes with age. The things we want to show the world slowly begin to include the things we have been thinking about.

But even then, the question remains.

Why do I need to share them?

Is it because I want someone to read them?

Yes.

Is it because I hope someone will understand what I am trying to say?

Yes.

Is it because I want to be noticed?

I think there is some truth in that too.

And is there something wrong with that?

I don’t think so.

A writer wants to be read. A photographer wants someone to look at the photograph. A teacher wants a response from the person sitting in front of her.

Perhaps wanting a response is simply human.

The problem begins when the response becomes more important than the reason we shared something in the first place.

And that is the part I am still thinking about.

If nobody watched, would I still post?

The honest answer is that I don’t know.

But perhaps the more important question is not whether I would post if nobody watched.

It is what I am hoping will happen after I post.

Am I sharing a moment because it meant something to me?

Am I sharing a thought because I want to put it into the world?

Or am I quietly waiting for someone to tell me that the moment was worth sharing, that the thought was worth having, that perhaps I was worth noticing?

That is where the line becomes difficult to see.

Because somewhere along the way, social media has made being seen feel almost like a form of reassurance.

We put something out there and wait for it to come back to us in the form of a heart, a comment, a message, a reaction.

And when it does, even briefly, we feel acknowledged.

When it doesn’t, the silence can feel strangely personal.

But silence is not rejection.

And a lack of response does not make a moment less meaningful.

I want to remember that.

I can enjoy being appreciated without handing over the authority to decide whether what I shared was valuable.

I can look at the number of comments without allowing that number to become a measure of the moment itself.

Because perhaps the real danger is not that we post too much.

It is that we slowly begin to experience our own lives through the eyes of the people watching us.

We stop simply living the moment and start imagining how it will look when it is posted.

We don’t just remember the photograph. We remember how the photograph performed.

And somewhere in that process, something private can become public before we have even asked ourselves whether it needed to be shared.

So I am still on Instagram.

I still post.

I still look at the comments.

I still enjoy being noticed.

But I want to hold on to one small distinction.

I want to share because something mattered to me, not because someone’s reaction will make it matter.

Perhaps that is the question worth asking before pressing “post”.

Not Will they like this?

Not even Will they notice me?

But simply:

Would this still matter if nobody noticed?

I am still learning to answer that.

And perhaps that is a question worth carrying with me before I share the next piece of my life with the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

The great power play

  The Great Power Play: Where Do We Stand? Power—whether political, economic, or psychological —has always fascinated humankind. Every individual aspires to rise high enough to influence decisions, shape narratives, and dictate terms. That’s human nature. In governance, this instinct materializes through political parties—groups formed on shared beliefs and interests. On paper, it’s simple civics. In reality, it’s an intricate web. We call ourselves democratic. We vote with care. We choose wisely. Yet, despite the promise of representation, citizens often remain caught between conflicting interests when two opposing parties shape the nation’s discourse. The ruling party pushes its agenda; the opposition challenges it. While criticism keeps the ruling bodies in check and drives them to work harder, the motivations are rarely altruistic. After all, human beings, by nature, gravitate toward self-interest. Zoom out to the global stage, and the power play becomes even more pronounced. ...