When enough stops feeling enough
Perhaps the strangest thing about having enough money is that it can make us afraid of having less.
I have been thinking about this lately. I have privileges in my life, and there is so much I should be grateful for. The more carefully I observe the world around me, the more I realise how much of what we seek is connected to money, comfort, security and, somewhere beneath it all, status.
Money gives us choices. It allows us to build a comfortable life, to have a beautiful home, good clothes, good food, travel, convenience and the ability to say yes without constantly calculating the cost.
And there is nothing wrong with that.
But slowly, something changes.
The things that once felt like luxuries become normal. A certain kind of home becomes the expected home. A particular quality becomes the minimum. A comfortable way of travelling becomes the only acceptable way. What money once gave us as freedom can quietly become the lifestyle we feel compelled to maintain.
We work to create comfort, and then we work to protect ourselves from losing it.
That, perhaps, is the paradox.
The more accustomed we become to a certain standard, the harder it becomes to step outside it. We may have more choices, yet become less willing to choose anything that feels like a compromise.
And then there is status.
A beautiful home, good clothes, the places we visit, the things we carry and even the way we present ourselves can quietly become markers of where we believe we stand. We may not consciously chase status, but perhaps we are more influenced by it than we realise.
So I keep wondering: what is the right way to live with what we have?
I don’t have a formula.
Enjoy some of it. Save some. Share some. Spend on family, experiences and the things that genuinely bring joy. Give a little to those who need it. Keep something aside for the days when circumstances change.
Because they can.
There will be abundance, and there will be scarcity. There will be times when we can spend without hesitation and times when we will have to reconsider what we once thought was essential.
Money can provide security, but it cannot guarantee permanence. Life is fragile, and circumstances can change without warning.
And perhaps that is why I find myself asking a more uncomfortable question:
If the comforts disappeared tomorrow, would I still know how to live well?
Not comfortably. Not impressively.
Just well.
Maybe that is the real measure of having enough.
Not how much money we have, but how much of ourselves remains when we can no longer afford everything we have become accustomed to.
Perhaps freedom is not having everything we can afford.
Perhaps it is knowing that we can live without it.
Comments
Post a Comment