Skip to main content

The teachers behind the teacher


The Teachers Behind the Teacher

This Teachers’ Day, I realised something I wish I had realised much earlier.

I have received countless messages from my students over the years, but I have never sent a Teachers’ Day message to any of my own teachers.

I remember them. I remember what they taught me. More importantly, I can still see their influence in the teacher I became.

And that made me think about the teachers behind the teacher.

Mr Lewis, my English teacher, was the one who made me fall in love with language. He taught me to look at literature more closely, to analyse it, to question it and to find meaning beyond what was immediately visible.

Miss Namita, my Biology teacher, made me curious about the human body and its intricacies. Because of her, I wanted to read more about human anatomy, simply because I wanted to understand it better.

Then there was Anita Sood Ma’am, my Science teacher during my primary school years. She taught me something that I still use every day as a teacher: how to simplify the complex. Even today, when I am explaining something difficult to my students, I instinctively try to break it down into something they can understand. I suppose that lesson began much earlier than I realised.

And Geeta Ma’am, my Hindi teacher, was the one who gave me the confidence to speak on stage. I wonder if she ever imagined that the confidence she encouraged in me would stay for so long. Even today, I speak on stage, anchor school events and find myself comfortable addressing an audience.

When I think about it, my teachers did much more than teach me their subjects.

They left something behind.

A way of thinking. A curiosity. A skill. A confidence.

Things that became so much a part of me that I forgot where they came from.

And yet, I never went back to tell them.

Perhaps social media simply wasn’t a part of our lives then. There were no WhatsApp messages or Instagram posts reminding us to reach out to people from our past. When we passed our exams and moved ahead, life moved with us. We rarely looked back.

But that is not really an excuse.

I could have met them. I could have made a phone call. I could have found a way.

I didn’t.

And now, some of those opportunities are gone forever. Mr Lewis is no longer alive.

That thought has stayed with me.

This Teachers’ Day was wonderful for me in many ways. There were messages, warm wishes and time spent with friends. It reminded me that we do have a life beyond the classroom too. We can step away from lesson plans, answer sheets and deadlines and simply enjoy being with people we care about.

But the messages from my students stayed with me the most.

They had taken out time to think about me. Some remembered something I had said or done. Some spoke about a particular moment. Others simply told me that I had made a difference to their lives.

As a teacher, we often don’t know what stays with our students.

We teach a lesson and move on. We correct a sentence, explain a concept, encourage a hesitant child to speak, or simply say something at the right moment.

Years later, we may discover that those little things travelled with them.

I am living proof of that.

Parts of my teachers are still present in the way I teach today.

And reading those messages made me wonder: how many of my teachers might have wondered the same about me? Did they ever think about whether something they had taught had stayed with us? Did they ever wonder if they had made a difference?

I will never know.

Because I never went back and told them.

That is probably the part of this Teachers’ Day that has stayed with me the most.

We often wait for our students to remember us. We feel grateful when they do. We treasure their messages and their words.

But perhaps we should also remember the people who once stood where we stand today.

The teachers who taught us before we became teachers ourselves.

The ones whose lessons quietly travelled with us into our own classrooms.

I wish I had gone back.

I wish I had said thank you.

Perhaps it is not too late for some.

And perhaps that is what I will take away from this Teachers’ Day: gratitude should not need a date on the calendar.

We often wait for our students to remember us.

Maybe, sometimes, we should remember first.

Because every teacher carries traces of the teachers who came before them.

I know I do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

The great power play

  The Great Power Play: Where Do We Stand? Power—whether political, economic, or psychological —has always fascinated humankind. Every individual aspires to rise high enough to influence decisions, shape narratives, and dictate terms. That’s human nature. In governance, this instinct materializes through political parties—groups formed on shared beliefs and interests. On paper, it’s simple civics. In reality, it’s an intricate web. We call ourselves democratic. We vote with care. We choose wisely. Yet, despite the promise of representation, citizens often remain caught between conflicting interests when two opposing parties shape the nation’s discourse. The ruling party pushes its agenda; the opposition challenges it. While criticism keeps the ruling bodies in check and drives them to work harder, the motivations are rarely altruistic. After all, human beings, by nature, gravitate toward self-interest. Zoom out to the global stage, and the power play becomes even more pronounced. ...