Skip to main content

And then, we step back in

 And Then, We Step Back In

There was a time when standing on a stage frightened me.

The lights, the audience, the microphone in my hand, the awareness that every word I spoke was being heard and watched. I would rehearse, prepare and rehearse some more, hoping that preparation could protect me from the unexpected.

Years later, the stage has become almost ordinary.

Teaching has taken me there countless times. Hosting school events has become a part of my professional life. I have been trusted by my school to anchor and conduct programmes, and somewhere along the way, the fear disappeared. I learnt to speak, think on my feet, manage transitions, deal with the unexpected and, most importantly, stay composed.

Or so I thought.

Today, something happened.

It was a small moment. A moment that probably lasted no more than a few seconds. But when you are the person standing on the stage, a few seconds can feel strangely long.

Something in the flow of the programme changed. My co-host was looking towards me, waiting for me to speak, while I was trying to understand what had happened to the sequence we had planned. I looked at what was in front of me and, instead of pausing and allowing the moment to settle, I began to read.

Three words.

And then I stopped.

My co-host took over.

The programme moved on.

The quiz continued with its energy, excitement and laughter. The audience was engaged. There were questions to answer, teams to watch and a whole event unfolding. In the larger scheme of things, it was a tiny blip.

But I wasn’t ready to move on.

For the next hour, while I sat backstage, I kept replaying those few seconds.

I could have kept quiet.

I could have waited.

I could have let her take over.

Why did I read that?

Why didn’t I understand what was happening?

Why did I freeze at that particular moment?

I went over it again and again, as though somewhere in that endless replay I would discover a way to go back and change it.

Of course, I couldn’t.

That is perhaps one of the hardest things about making mistakes in public. You cannot edit them. There is no delete button, no second take, no opportunity to rewind the moment and try again.

And because I have been doing this for so long, I was particularly hard on myself.

I know how to handle a stage. I know how to fill a pause. I know that silence is sometimes better than saying the wrong thing. I know that a host has to remain calm even when the plan changes.

So why didn’t I do it?

I don’t have a perfect answer.

Perhaps because sometimes, despite all our experience, we are simply human.

We misread a cue. We respond too quickly. We lose a word. We say something awkward. We have a moment when we don’t quite rise to the occasion in the way we expected ourselves to.

And perhaps that is part of becoming comfortable with being on a stage.

Not learning how never to make a mistake, but learning what to do after one.

An hour later, I had to go back.

There was a prize distribution ceremony to conduct.

The same stage.

The same audience.

The same microphone.

And, for a few moments, the same person who had been sitting backstage criticising herself.

But this time, I walked onto the stage.

The ceremony went smoothly. I spoke to the Chief Guest. He smiled at me. The programme continued. Nobody stopped the proceedings to discuss those three words. The world had moved on.

And slowly, so did I.

It made me think about how differently we experience our own mistakes from the way other people experience them.

We imagine that everyone noticed.

We imagine that everyone is judging.

We imagine that a small stumble has somehow erased everything that came before it.

But perhaps people are far less occupied with our mistakes than we think. They see a moment, and then the programme continues. We are the ones who carry it home, replay it at night and give it a significance far greater than it deserves.

Maybe confidence is not the absence of mistakes.

Maybe confidence is knowing that a mistake does not have the power to define you.

And perhaps this is where the stage becomes a metaphor for life.

That is how life is.

We prepare. We think we know what is coming. We have a plan, a script, a sequence in our heads. And then, suddenly, something changes. We don’t always get the right words at the right moment. Sometimes we hesitate. Sometimes we make a mistake we wish we could take back. Sometimes someone else has to step in and carry the moment forward.

And yet, life does not stop.

The moment passes.

The next one arrives.

And we step into it again.

Today reminded me that even after years of experience, I can still falter. I can still have an imperfect moment. I can still wish I had handled something differently.

And that is okay.

Because the real test was not those three words.

The real test was whether I could walk back onto the stage afterwards.

I did.

Perhaps that is all we are really being asked to do in life: not to get every moment right, but to keep showing up for the next one.

Maybe we don’t need to be perfect in front of people.

Maybe we simply need to remain human in front of them.

And perhaps, after all, the most important part of being on stage, and of being alive, is not how gracefully we handle the moments when everything goes right.

It is how quietly, and with how much grace, we return when something goes wrong.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

calmness in the face of destiny

  Calmness in the Face of Destiny We often come across conversations about astrology, hard work, destiny, and the paths we choose in life. There are people who are astrologically not aligned, yet they decide to make their own destiny—sometimes by working tirelessly, sometimes by accepting situations as they come, and at other times by simply choosing not to react. They stay calm, pray, chant, and draw strength from an invisible power. And strangely enough, these practices truly help. Looking back at my own journey, I often wonder how I passed through certain testing times—whether it was a personal challenge or a difficult situation with a dear one. Somewhere, I’ve realized that the images of gods we keep around us, the symbols of faith that we carry, add to our inner strength. There is an aura, a protective energy, that holds us steady when we feel shaken. After watching the play Hamare Ram, I reflected deeply on the character of Lord Rama from the Ramayana. His life is the g...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...