A civilian among the Air warriors
For twenty years, I have watched Air Force children learn a lesson that most of us never really have to: how to say goodbye just when they have begun to feel at home.
Teaching at Air Force Bal Bharati School has meant being a small part of the lives of Air Force families for two decades. I have watched officers and their families move from one place to another. Just when they begin to settle in, make friends, build connections and start loving their surroundings, a new posting arrives. They pack up, say goodbye and begin all over again.
I have seen this through the eyes of their children. I have watched them adjust to new schools, new friends and new environments with a resilience that has always fascinated me. Over the years, I have formed a firm bond with many of them. I have understood their discipline, their ability to adapt and, gradually, a little of the life that exists beyond the school gates.
And yet, after twenty years, I realised that I had perhaps only known the Air Force from its doorstep.
Recently, for the first time, I was called to the Air Force Headquarters for a briefing regarding the forthcoming All India Air Force Quiz. What followed over the next two days gave me a glimpse into a world I had been connected to for years, but had never quite experienced from this side.
I had the privilege of being the Master of Ceremonies for both days. The first day was the quiz with the wards of the Air Warriors, and the second was with the Air Warriors themselves.
For two days, I was amongst them. I watched, listened, interacted and, in many ways, simply absorbed the atmosphere around me.
And one thing stayed with me more than anything else.
“Jai Hind.”
I heard it everywhere. It was not merely a ceremonial phrase. It seemed to be woven naturally into everyday interactions, carrying with it a quiet sense of belonging and pride.
But what surprised me was what happened to me.
When I finally had the opportunity to address the Chief of the Air Staff, I did not say, “Good afternoon.” Without thinking, I simply said, “Jai Hind.”
It came naturally.
I realised later that after spending two days immersed in that atmosphere, the greeting had somehow become instinctive even for me. And perhaps that was when I truly understood the meaning of being part of the Air Force fraternity, even if only for those two days.
The opportunity to meet the Chief of the Air Staff was, in itself, unforgettable. Some encounters are difficult to capture in words. What stayed with me was his presence: a rare combination of calm, humour and authority. These qualities often exist separately, but seeing them coexist so effortlessly was striking. There was an ease in his manner, yet there was no mistaking the authority that came with it.
It was an experience I will remember for a lifetime.
Then there was the quizmaster, Mr Venkatesh Srinivasan.
I must admit, many of the questions seemed incredibly difficult to me. But what fascinated me even more was discovering what it took to actually ace a quiz of this level.
During an informal interaction, one of the position holders spoke to us and showed us the newspaper cuttings he had collected as part of his preparation. He shared how he had been following current events, making notes and keeping track of significant happenings over a long period of time.
Looking at those cuttings in his hands, I suddenly understood the amount of preparation that goes into those few hours on the quiz stage. What may appear to be a quick answer to a difficult question is often backed by months and years of reading, noticing, remembering and connecting the dots.
It was a small interaction, but it stayed with me. It reminded me that excellence rarely happens by chance. Behind every confident answer is often a great deal of quiet preparation that nobody gets to see.
During these two days, I also became deeply interested in Safed Sagar, the series that brings alive the sacrifices of Air Warriors and the stories of their wives and families.
Perhaps this was the part that connected most deeply with what I had been observing for twenty years.
Because behind every uniform is a family.
Behind every posting is a home that has to be left behind.
Behind every new beginning are people who have had to say goodbye, adjust, rebuild friendships and make another place feel like home.
I had seen this countless times through my students. But these two days helped me understand the larger picture behind those familiar faces in my classroom.
I saw the camaraderie, the discipline, the humour, the pride, the sacrifices and the incredible sense of duty that binds this fraternity together. More importantly, I saw the people behind the uniform.
Perhaps that was my biggest takeaway.
I went to Air Force Headquarters as a civilian teacher who had been given a role to perform.
I came back with something far more personal: a deeper understanding of the fraternity that I had been a part of for twenty years, but had never quite seen from this side.
I feel blessed to have witnessed it all.
And perhaps I have also realised something about myself. Though I am a civilian, twenty years amongst Air Force families have left their own imprint on me. Somewhere along the way, their stories, their resilience, their discipline and their spirit have become a small part of my own journey.
Perhaps that is why, when I hear “Jai Hind” now, it means a little more to me.
Jai Hind.
Comments
Post a Comment