The Illusion of Certainty
Sometimes, all it takes is a single word to make you pause.
A few days ago, I heard the term situationship. I had a rough idea of what it meant, but the more I thought about it, the less interested I became in the word itself. Instead, I found myself wondering what it says about the way we approach relationships today.
Not just the younger generation.
All of us.
Perhaps a situationship is not simply the absence of commitment. Perhaps it is a reflection of something deeper. A fear of making the wrong choice. A hope that if we analyse enough, question enough, and understand enough, we might somehow protect ourselves from getting hurt.
It sounds sensible.
After all, shouldn’t we know the person we are choosing? Shouldn’t we recognise red flags, understand emotional needs, and make thoughtful decisions?
Of course we should.
But somewhere along the way, I wonder if we have quietly crossed a line.
We no longer just get to know people.
We evaluate them.
Sometimes, it feels as though two people are no longer meeting each other.
They are assessing each other.
One is silently asking, Are you emotionally available?
The other is wondering, Will you fit into the future I’ve imagined?
One is observing habits.
The other is measuring responses.
Both are searching for certainty.
It must be exhausting.
To constantly feel that you are being scanned.
Every conversation examined.
Every silence interpreted.
Every flaw quietly entered into an invisible scorecard.
And then I realised something.
The person sitting across from you is probably doing exactly the same.
Both are trying so hard to avoid making a mistake that neither is fully present in the moment they are actually sharing.
Relationships begin to resemble interviews.
Not because people have stopped believing in love, but because they are desperately trying to protect themselves from disappointment.
The irony is that love has never come with guarantees.
No checklist can tell us how someone will stand beside us when life becomes difficult.
No amount of analysis can predict how two people will grow through success, failure, illness, ageing, or the quiet routines of everyday life.
There comes a moment when logic has already done everything it can.
Beyond that point, something else has to take over.
Trust.
Grace.
Patience.
And yes… love.
Not the dramatic love that promises perfection, but the quiet love that accepts another human being without constantly trying to calculate every possible outcome.
Perhaps compatibility helps us choose a person.
But love begins when we stop treating them like a problem to solve.
As I sat reflecting on that one little word, situationship, I realised it had led me somewhere entirely unexpected.
Maybe the real question is not why commitment has become difficult.
Maybe the real question is why we have become so afraid of uncertainty.
Because uncertainty has always been a part of love.
It always will be.
The greatest relationships were never built on the certainty that nothing would go wrong.
They were built on the courage to move forward even when nothing could be guaranteed.
Perhaps that is what love has always asked of us.
Not perfect certainty.
Just enough faith to take the next step.
Comments
Post a Comment