Skip to main content

What does God need?

 What Does God Need?

For the past week, the news has been filled with reports of thefts in temples. Every time I hear one more story about money being stolen from a donation box, I find myself thinking about the same question.

What exactly does God need from us?

Recently, I found myself in a discussion on this subject. I casually suggested that perhaps temples could encourage digital donations. Not because faith needs to become modern, but because it might reduce the possibility of theft and ensure that contributions reach their intended purpose.

The response came quickly.

“Not everyone will be satisfied with a digital transaction.”

And perhaps that is true.

For many people, placing a note or a coin in a donation box is an emotional act. It is tangible. They feel they are personally offering something at the feet of the deity. Faith is often guided by the heart more than by logic.

Yet the thought has stayed with me.

Does God really need money?

Whenever I stand before a deity, I do not feel that I am standing before someone who is waiting for my financial contribution. I feel I am standing before something much greater, something that asks for humility, gratitude, honesty, and surrender.

If someone wishes to donate money, there are so many meaningful ways to do so. One could contribute directly towards the construction or maintenance of the temple. One could support the salaries of the priests and staff who dedicate their lives to serving there. One could donate towards community meals, much like the langars and bhandaras that feed thousands of people every day. One could contribute to educational, medical, or charitable work carried out by religious institutions.

When the purpose is visible, the act of giving feels connected to something real and immediate.

Perhaps that is why I find myself wondering whether money lying anonymously in a donation box is the only way to express devotion.

Could devotion not also be expressed through service?

Could it not be expressed through feeding a hungry person, helping a struggling family, supporting a child’s education, or contributing to a cause that genuinely benefits people?

Would such an offering reach God any less?

I am not questioning temples. Temples have their place and their importance. They require resources to function, to preserve traditions, and to serve the countless people who visit them. Those who wish to contribute should absolutely do so.

What I find myself questioning is our understanding of what constitutes an offering.

Sometimes I feel we have made giving easier than being good.

Dropping money into a box takes a few seconds.

Being kind takes effort.

Being honest takes courage.

Being compassionate requires us to notice another person’s pain and respond to it.

Perhaps that is why the latter is harder.

The temple thefts in the news are unfortunate, but what troubles me even more is what they reveal about us. We are often quick to display our faith, yet we sometimes overlook the values that faith is meant to nurture.

Maybe the greatest offering is not what leaves our wallet.

Maybe it is what leaves our heart.

A little ego.

A little pride.

A little selfishness.

And perhaps when we leave those behind, we finally arrive before God with something truly worth offering.


Comments

  1. For me religion is a very complicated topic. I know I am young but everything about it confuses me to the core and keeps me shifting from one belief to another.
    But I have realised one thing, the foundation of all rational ideologies is being kind and helpful. Whether someone is an agnostic, thiest or atheist we must aim to conribute as much as we can to the betterment of humanity and nature. Perhaps that's a creator truly wants.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...