Skip to main content

Consumed by what we consume

 Consumed by What We Consume

We often talk about consuming content as if it ends the moment we scroll past it.

But the truth is, what we consume eventually begins consuming us too.

Maybe that is the contradiction I find myself facing these days. The strange distance between the world that teaches wisdom and the world that entertains us.

On one side, my social media feed is filled with spirituality, scriptures, reflections, manifestations, calm thoughts, and reminders to become better human beings. There is comfort in that space. It feels grounding. It feels like a pause from the noise.

And then there is the other side of the same screen.

A world of reels where people laugh at humiliation, where insults are passed off as humour, where interfering in someone else’s life becomes entertainment, and where harshness suddenly looks fashionable. The louder, sharper, and more careless you are, the more attention you receive.

What confuses me even more is the reaction when I question it.

The moment I say something feels disrespectful or unnecessarily hurtful, I am made to feel like I am “too good,” too sensitive, too idealistic. As if kindness has become outdated. As if basic decency now belongs to another generation entirely.

And maybe this is where the real contradiction begins.

The younger generation is not entirely wrong when they say they are tired of constant preaching. Nobody wants to be told how to behave every second. The world itself is exhausting enough. Humour has become an escape mechanism for many people.

But somewhere between humour and humiliation, we have blurred a line.

Being brutally honest is now celebrated more than being compassionate. Mocking someone is easier than understanding them. Emotional detachment is mistaken for strength. And slowly, without even noticing, people stop asking whether something is funny because it is clever or funny because someone else became the target.

Maybe wisdom today does not look like becoming perfect.

Maybe wisdom is simply staying aware.

Aware of what we consume every day. Aware of what it slowly turns us into. Aware of whether our entertainment is making us lighter or harsher. Kinder or colder.

I do not think spirituality asks us to reject modern life. And I do not think modern life requires us to lose sensitivity either.

Perhaps the challenge of this generation is not choosing between scriptures and reels.

It is learning how to remain human while scrolling through both.


Comments

  1. Not a lot of people from my generation will agree with this but I completely do.I have seen my peers making fun of about the way someone looks, the way they speak without any consideration of how that affects them. I honestly feel people are now become more self centred and less human like tbh.
    The bitter truth is unless we ban social media like Australia did I have no hopes in our future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...