Skip to main content

when Shiva comes back

 When Shiva Comes Back.


My relationship with Shiva has never been linear.


As a child and through my early years, I was deeply drawn to Shiva….chanting His name felt natural and effortless, almost like breathing. Before l got married ,my devotion to Shiva was steady and intimate.


After marriage ,life gently shifted. I began visiting the Gurudwara more often. The rhythm of shabad kirtan entered my days. For some time I immersed myself in that devotion. Later, I found myself chanting bhajans. Gradually my heart moved toward Lord Hanuman. Now strength ,surrender and protection became meaningful to me.


And yet Shiva kept returning.


Not dramatically, and not insistently, but quietly, like an old presence that never truly leaves.


This Maha Shivratri felt like meeting Him again after a long pause.


I was not inside a temple. I was not among a physical crowd. I was at home watching the live celebration from the Isha Foundation, and softly chanting Om Namah Shivaya during Rishit Kaal.


yet it did not feel distant.


At one point I felt a slight throbbing in my head, it was not uncomfortable, it was not overwhelming, but it was simply there, subtle and alive. I did not try to label it as spiritual or physiological. I just noticed it, and continued chanting.


The mantras were serene,  the rhythm was magnetic, and even through a screen the collective devotion felt powerful. People were dancing and immersed in celebration but  I remained seated, and inwardly I felt like dancing too.


then came the tears.


Not tears of sadness or longing.


But tears that made the heart lighter.


For those moments there was no chaos in me, and no mental clutter, and no analysis, and I lived every second of it. The sound of the mantra, and the silence between repetitions, and the vibration moving gently within.


There were one or two points of complete stillness.


And strangely that stillness did not feel empty, it felt complete as if nothing was missing, and nothing needed to be added.


I could not stay awake the entire night, and I slept within two hours. The next morning despite less sleep I felt slightly energised, and clear and settled.


Chanting brought me closer to Shiva.


Later when I reflected quietly, I felt closer to myself.


Somewhere between devotion and introspection I realised something subtle, and perhaps our spiritual journeys are not about switching paths, but about circling back to what has always been ours.


Shiva did not arrive as something new.


He felt familiar.


Like coming home.


This Maha Shivratri was not about grandeur or spectacle, but it was about reconnection and remembering a presence that had quietly waited in the background of my life.


And perhaps that is the nature of certain devotions as they do not demand, they remain. And when the time feels right, they return.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...