Skip to main content

How chanting helps me?

 


When the Heart Becomes Audible



There are evenings when I can hear my own heartbeat. Not metaphorically, but physically. Thoughts gather speed, responsibilities grow heavier, and the mind begins solving problems that have not yet arrived. In such moments, logic does not help me. Sound does. Chanting, for me, is not ritual. It is return. It is the quiet act of stepping back into the spectator seat of my own turbulence.


As a child, I began chanting the Gayatri Mantra. I did not understand its depth then. I only knew that it was something my parents taught me, especially before sleeping at night. It became part of my rhythm, like brushing my teeth or folding my hands in gratitude. The sound settled into memory long before meaning did. Even today, I feel that much depends on what our parents give us in those quiet formative years. What they repeat before we sleep often stays with us for life. The Gayatri Mantra has lived in my mind ever since, and in ways I did not recognise then, it has steadied me throughout my life.


An anxious mind breathes shallowly, and shallow breathing feeds anxiety. Chanting interrupts this rhythm. When a sound is stretched and the exhale deepens, the body softens. The mind, which was scattered, now has one anchor. Something shifts. Not dramatically, but steadily.


The word mantra comes from Sanskrit, an ancient Indian language from which Hindi later evolved. In Sanskrit, man means mind and tra means instrument or tool. A mantra is therefore an instrument of the mind. Mantras originated in the Vedic tradition of Hinduism thousands of years ago. The rishis are believed to have received these sounds in deep meditative states. They were not considered inventions, but discoveries. Sound was understood as a foundational force of existence, and sacred syllables were preserved with precision because their vibration was believed to influence consciousness. In Hindu philosophy, creation itself is often symbolised through sound, especially in the syllable ॐ. Chanting, therefore, was not merely prayer, but alignment with a cosmic rhythm.


In moments of restlessness, certain mantras feel deeply relevant.


ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः


ॐ दुं दुर्गायै नमः


ॐ गं गणपतये नमः


ॐ नमः शिवाय


सोऽहम्


For resilience and healing, I turn to:


ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्

उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान् मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात्


And when I seek clarity and illumination, I return to the mantra that began it all for me:


ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः

तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं

भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि

धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात्


Each mantra carries a tone, and each tone reorganises the inner noise. Sometimes I reflect on its meaning. Sometimes I simply surrender to its vibration.


Yet in moments of acute overwhelm, even names fall away. Only breath and sound remain. A hum on the exhale. So on the inhale. Hum on the exhale. Nothing elaborate. Just rhythm. The thoughts may not disappear, but they lose authority.


Chanting is not escape. It is participation in stillness. It reminds me that while the mind produces noise, there is also a quieter self capable of observing it. When the heart is loud and the thoughts are louder, chanting gently reminds me that I am not the noise. I am the listener.


Between experience and reaction lies a quiet seat. I choose to sit there.

— The Thought Balcony


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...