Skip to main content

Stories from the classroom

Stories from the Classroom

When Trouble Turns a Corner

by Nidhi Guglani 


“Every child has a story. Sometimes, all they need is someone willing to read between the lines.”


Two months ago, my classroom felt like a storm I couldn’t calm. Among the many energies and temperaments I work with every day, one child stood out—not because of brilliance or charm, but because of the sheer disruption he caused.


For over a year, this child had troubled not only his peers but several teachers. His behavior was erratic and unsettling—disrupting classes, using abusive language, forging teacher signatures in others’ notebooks, scribbling nonsense across desks and books, even tearing pages. The complaints would not stop. On one particular day, I remember being called out of the staff room five or six times, unable to sit down because yet another issue had surfaced. It wasn’t just exhausting—it was emotionally draining.


But what disturbed me more was something I realized during an interaction with his parents. They weren’t unaware. In fact, they knew. And yet, there was a quiet complicity in their words—a vague support of their child’s version of the truth, even when the facts were clear. That day, something shifted in me. I decided to try a different route.


I told him, plainly and without anger, “There’s nothing wrong with being wrong.”

I gave examples of other students—those who had made mistakes, come forward, and apologized. And how that honesty made the mistake disappear. But with him, it was always one lie after another. I could sense he didn’t want to be “wrong,” even if it meant being unfair, unkind, or dishonest.


I didn’t give up.


I kept at the counseling, not as a punishment, but as a conversation. I didn’t threaten him, didn’t brand him. I reminded him of his potential and made it clear that being better was possible—and respected.


Today, for the first time in a long while, something incredible happened.


Other teachers—those who used to bring me his complaints—walked up to me and said, “He behaved really well in your absence today.” No disturbances. No mischief. No noise. Just quiet, mindful behavior.


It wasn’t a celebration. There were no confetti or claps. But for me, it was a moment of triumph—because it was a sign. He was trying.


And that wasn’t all.


Another child—also seen as destructive, unreliable—has now been made the class monitor. A risky choice, many would say. But sometimes, giving a child a sense of responsibility does more than punishment ever could. So far, he’s being sincere. He’s reporting fairly. He’s taking it seriously.


Maybe this, too, will evolve.


These small changes, these flickers of hope, are the real stories of teaching. We don’t always see immediate transformation. But sometimes, if you listen closely, if you wait just a little longer, a troubled child will turn a corner.


And in that quiet turn—without fanfare or recognition—you find your reward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...