Skip to main content

From the first row

 From the First Row: A Teacher’s Quiet Pride

by Nidhi Guglani 


There are few moments in a teacher’s life when time folds in quietly and reveals how far a student has traveled. I had one such moment recently, and it left me deeply moved.


He was always spirited—restless in the best way. Back in school, I had once nudged him to edit a short film inspired by the Diary of Anne Frank. His intensity was noticeable, his creative energy unmistakable. He was drawn to storytelling, to expression, to drama. And years later, that spark has turned into something much larger.


He called to invite me to the screening of his latest work. A twenty-five minute short film. A creative journey where he wore many hats—director, actor, writer. It was a proud moment, the kind that quietly humbles you. What touched me even more was his gesture—reserving front-row seats for his teachers, waiting until we arrived, calling us on stage, and acknowledging our presence not just with words but with gratitude.


As I held the film’s banner on that stage with him, I wasn’t thinking of my role in his life. I was simply absorbing the joy of watching a young dreamer chase something with full conviction. These are the moments we silently strive for as educators—not awards or accolades, but the knowledge that we might have sparked something, however small, that grew.


The film, like all art, had its own rhythm—its own charm. It may not have mass appeal, but it was brave. The genre was niche, the themes unconventional, yet the commitment behind every frame was evident. He had poured himself into it.


That said, I walked away with a quiet reflection I haven’t yet voiced to him. Sometimes, passion can lead us to carry too much. In trying to manage every element of the creative process—writing, directing, acting—he stretched himself. While his talent shines through in each role, focusing on one at a time may allow it to shine even brighter. I hope he learns that balance—not through discouragement, but through experience.


The journey of a teacher becomes more fulfilling—and even more meaningful—when students remember to return. When they reach out, not just with updates but with presence. I don’t know about others, but I carry my students with me. I get attached to most of them. I remember their struggles, their quirks, their first sparks of passion. So when one of them reaches back, it means the world.


As teachers, we sow seeds not knowing what they’ll become. And then, one day, we find ourselves in the front row—not teaching anymore, but witnessing. And that is more than enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...