Skip to main content

Balancing discipline and discovery

 Balancing Discipline and Discovery

by Nidhi Guglani 


Every once in a while, something simple—a short video, a passing conversation, a sudden memory—nudges us into reflection. Recently, I found myself watching a few school videos shared online by students. In them, children were laughing, scribbling messages on walls and uniforms, visiting rooftops and corners of the school that are usually off-limits. These weren’t acts of rebellion. They were farewells, quiet moments of gratitude, full of nostalgia and warmth.


And as I watched, I found myself smiling—then thinking.


As a teacher, discipline has always been a part of how I understand learning. It creates structure. It offers direction. It helps a child grow into a responsible adult. Over the years, I’ve believed in setting limits, upholding boundaries, and reminding students that freedom must come with accountability.


And yet, there’s another side.


Watching those students enjoy their last days with innocent joy reminded me of something equally important: discovery. The joy of doing something spontaneous. The beauty of small rule-bending when it’s harmless and heartfelt. The kind of experiences that don’t just teach you lessons but leave you with lasting memories.


In those brief clips, I saw something that perhaps many of us overlook—we focus so much on shaping our students that we sometimes forget how much they shape us too. Their sense of wonder. Their ability to turn ordinary spaces into places of meaning. Their effortless blend of fun and reflection.


I’ll admit, I was never the kind of student to push boundaries. I followed rules diligently. Never bunked a class. Never tested the lines. And perhaps that’s why today, in retrospect, I can appreciate how others did so—within limits, without harm, and often with great insight.


Of course, not all acts of exploration come from the right place. There are moments where freedom, especially when amplified through social media, is misused—when the line between creativity and carelessness blurs. As educators, we’ve all come across instances where online content from school life crosses boundaries, compromises dignity, or becomes a tool for mockery. And it’s in these moments that discipline isn’t just necessary—it becomes protective. Because freedom without awareness can turn reckless.


This isn’t to say that rules should be broken or that discipline has no place. Quite the opposite. But maybe, just maybe, there’s space within those rules for joy. For creativity. For students to feel a little more themselves in the spaces we’ve long tried to keep formal.


As teachers, we constantly navigate that fine line between discipline and discovery. And I’m beginning to understand—it’s not about choosing one over the other. It’s about holding space for both.


Perhaps the real goal is not to produce perfect students, but to guide children who can reflect, explore, and eventually shape the world with both responsibility and freedom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...