Skip to main content

Learning to stand without splitting

Learning to Stand Without Splitting

By Nidhi Guglani

There are times when I’m in a fix. I don’t know whom I should agree with—the family I’m very close to, or my friends, my students, my colleagues, or even my parents who now live apart. It becomes a dilemma because I care deeply for all of them. And when two people who matter to me don’t get along, or when there’s a disagreement between the worlds I belong to, it genuinely hurts.


Usually, the tension lies between the immediate family I live with and those who are a little more distant—emotionally close, yet physically or circumstantially apart. It’s a situation many of us quietly live with, especially when life has asked us to move from one space to another—like a new home, a new family, or a new role.


“Boundaries are the distance at which I can love you and me simultaneously.” — Prentis Hemphill


Over time, I’ve come to see that this isn’t a question of siding with one group or another. It’s a matter of learning how to stand whole, without splitting myself between loyalties. The family we are born into, the people we live with, the friendships from our past, and the bonds we form later in life—all of them come from different contexts. They carry different expectations, unspoken rules, and sometimes, unshared histories.


It’s not always possible—or necessary—for these worlds to blend. And maybe they don’t have to.


The important thing is that we respect each other’s space, rather than try to reshape one another. We can acknowledge the differences, navigate them with care, and choose not to criticize or compare. There is a quiet strength in being able to say:

“I see you. I care for you. But I also need to honor my own ground.”


“You can be a good person with a kind heart and still say no.” — Lori Deschene


I’ve realized that sometimes the best form of support is space. Giving others room to resolve their own conflicts is not withdrawal—it’s trust. It’s the belief that they are capable of growth, just as I am. I can’t fix everything, and I no longer need to. I can walk beside people without trying to carry them.


This clarity didn’t come all at once. It came from being torn in small, invisible ways—between silence and speaking, between peacekeeping and peacebuilding. And through it all, I’ve come to value a kind of quiet dignity. One that doesn’t need to take sides to prove love.


 I thought to sit with—

Have you ever felt caught between two people or two worlds you care deeply about?

What helped you stay grounded without taking sides?

You’re welcome to reflect, journal, or simply carry the question with you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...