Skip to main content

growing together

Growing Together: Lessons My Children Are Teaching Me

by Nidhi Guglani

Parenting is often spoken of as a one-way journey—where parents guide, teach, and mold their children. But lately, I’ve been feeling the opposite: my children are teaching me just as much, if not more.


Raising two very different individuals has been both humbling and enriching. Each of them brings something unique to our family. One moves with clarity and purpose. The other takes a more explorative path—curious, observant, and deeply empathetic. Though their approaches to life differ, both are growing into thoughtful, self-aware individuals who know what matters to them.


What’s even more striking is how freely they voice their opinions. They say “no” when they mean it, hold their ground, and aren’t afraid to challenge my views—sometimes pointing out when I sound outdated. It’s not disrespect. It’s honesty. Still, I’d be lying if I said it never stings.


Then again, it makes me reflect on my own childhood. I was obedient to a fault, rarely questioned my parents, always eager to please, and hardly ever said no. Even today, I struggle to set boundaries or choose myself over others. That’s not entirely bad—but it makes me wonder: is this who I am because of my personality or because of how I was raised?


Maybe it’s both. And maybe that’s okay.


What matters now is that I’ve chosen to give my children space—to speak, to falter, to find themselves. I haven’t imposed paths on them, and because of that, they’ve grown in directions I couldn’t have planned. But that doesn’t make those directions any less valid.


I’ve come to realize that success looks different for each child. One may shine academically or professionally. The other may radiate empathy, resilience, or emotional intelligence. We can’t measure people by the same ruler—and we certainly shouldn’t compare our children.


The real challenge is finding the balance: How do I let my children be who they are, while still offering guidance? How do I ensure my voice is heard, while also honoring theirs?


It’s a dance.


So I’m learning. I try to model what I want to see in them: the willingness to listen, to stay open, to speak gently but truthfully. I ask questions—not to interrogate, but to understand. I’ve started saying things like:


  • I struggle to say no. I admire how easily you do it.
  • I hope my opinions, even if they seem old-fashioned, still matter to you.
  • Let’s have an open conversation, with a logical perspective from each side.



These aren’t lectures. They’re conversations. And they’re slowly becoming bridges.


But growing with them doesn’t mean erasing my own voice. While I’m listening more and allowing space, I’m also learning to stand firm—with clarity and compassion.


There are moments when my experience matters—not because I have all the answers, but because I’ve lived longer, stumbled more, and seen how choices unfold. In those moments, I remind myself it’s okay to say, “I understand where you’re coming from, but here’s what I’ve seen—and this is what I believe.”


I don’t parent from a place of control—but I do parent from presence. And sometimes that means offering a steady, guiding voice when things feel uncertain. I try not to impose, but I do assert. I share what I know with quiet confidence, hoping it plants a seed—even if it takes time to grow.


So even as I grow with them, I stand beside them—not behind, not above—offering the wisdom I’ve gathered while staying true to the values I hold dear. I want them to be free, yes—but also kind, rooted, and responsible.


Parenting is a dance. A constant rhythm between holding on and letting go. Between guiding and stepping back. Between leading you and learning.


And I’m still learning the steps.


But in this process, I’m not just watching my children grow up.

I’m learning how to grow up all over again—with them, beside them, and sometimes, because of them.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...