Skip to main content

Becoming , bit by bit

 Becoming, bit by bit

by Nidhi Guglani 


Life isn’t always made of grand decisions. More often, it’s built from quiet agreements with the present moment. To stay. To speak. To carry on. To begin.


We don’t live just at the crossroads—we live in the in-between. The part where we wake up and decide, again and again, how to live with what we’ve chosen. Or what’s chosen us.


There was a time I thought I’d be a doctor. That dream came from a deeply personal place—born out of a loving bond with someone who lost his vision but never his light. But life carved another path for me. I became a teacher.


And with time, I’ve realized I didn’t miss the mark. I just found a different way to serve, to heal, to shape. A doctor may save lives. A teacher helps shape the ones that are saved. But even this isn’t just about choosing a profession. It’s about the countless moments that follow any choice. It’s about being awake to the life you’re living.


Sometimes, we find ourselves with someone who is our complete opposite. Ethically, morally, temperamentally—two people, poles apart. And yet, we stay. Not out of resignation, but out of a deeper understanding. Life, after all, isn’t about being the same. It’s about finding ways to hold space for each other, especially when health falters, when tempers rise, when the road gets bumpy. It’s about learning to find happiness not in spite of the differences, but because we choose to grow through them.


Staying together, especially through stormy days, is not passive. It is a decision we make every single day—a conscious act of commitment, patience, and sometimes even silence.


And now, in this very moment, I’m choosing to write. I could have kept my thoughts to myself—let them fade quietly, unresolved. But the urge came. And I responded. That action—of writing, of expressing—is an act of living.


Will it bear fruit? Will it touch someone? Will it become something more? I don’t know. But I do know that by showing up for this thought, by giving it form, I’m playing my part. Fully. Actively. Consciously.


Life, then, is not just about forks in the road. It’s not only about choosing between two sharply different paths. It’s about standing still and choosing to step forward. It’s about breathing through discomfort and saying, I will respond, not retreat. It’s about writing when you could stay silent. Loving when you could walk away. Teaching when you once dreamed of healing.


Every moment holds a choice—not always a big one, but always a real one. And when we engage with those moments fully, life begins to shape itself around our presence.


So here’s to the daily act of living. Not dramatically. But deeply.


--


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...