Skip to main content

A mirror that reflects and distorts

 


A Mirror That Reflects and Distorts



By Nidhi Guglani


The other day, while talking to a friend—as I often do—I caught myself doing something I didn’t intend to. I was talking about other people. Not criticizing them, not gossiping, just… talking. Reflecting on the trajectory of their lives. How things have changed for them, the choices they’ve made, the turns they’ve taken.


At first, it felt harmless. Thoughtful, even. But then a question struck me: Why am I talking about others? These are their lives—their battles, their inner worlds. Who am I to observe from the outside and analyze what’s going on?


That led to another question: Why do I feel compelled to find meaning in their journeys—especially when our lives intersect?

Perhaps because when someone’s path crosses mine, I instinctively start looking for connections. What does their life say about mine? What part of me is involved in theirs?


And then, suddenly, the boundary between observation and opinion starts to blur.


I wonder:

When I talk like this, what am I really doing?

Is it self-reflection dressed up as analysis of others?

Or is it an unconscious way of forming judgments—however gentle they may seem?


And this questioning doesn’t end there.


When I turn the gaze inward and observe myself from a reflective distance, things get even more complicated. Am I analyzing myself correctly? Or am I misreading my own story, influenced by mood, memory, fear, ego?


Sometimes, I feel I can’t fully trust my own analysis of myself. But if I leave it to others to interpret me, they’ll see me through their own lens—shaped by their experiences, biases, and stories. So then whose perspective do I rely on? What is right? What is wrong?

Is there even such a thing?


Increasingly, I feel there isn’t. At least, not in any universal way. What feels right to me may not feel right to someone else. Every human being walks a different path, faces a different set of battles. Every conclusion is carved out of individual experience.


And maybe that’s the point. There is no final truth—only versions of it.

No perfect reflection—only mirrors that reflect and distort.


But maybe, just maybe, if we stay present with the questions—without rushing to label, define, or judge—something true begins to emerge. Not as an answer, but as a quiet integrity that runs through us. A sense of whether we are acting from fear or understanding, reaction or reflection.


I don’t claim to have clarity. But I think I’ve begun to respect the discomfort of this inquiry. It doesn’t give me answers. It gives me depth.


And that, for now, is enough.


Some mirrors don’t offer clarity. They offer depth. And sometimes, that is the more honest reflection.


Comments

  1. Absolutely ma'am! I feel the same that, there is no final truth, and quite frankly it doesn't even matter if there is. Understanding oneself is an unending process, since we change for as long as we're alive. And thus who we are, is not so much an absolute fact but more of an estimate. I do feel that it's very natural of us to think and evaluate other's lives. I realize it's got nothing to do with how good or bad of a person you are, everyone does that. It's part of being a socially organised species I believe. Though it'd indeed do us all some good to carry on with our questions without rushing to judge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When silence becomes a cry

  When Silence Becomes a Cry: Reflections on a Child’s Inner World The recent news of a student’s suicide in Delhi has left a heaviness in my heart that I cannot shake off. It forces me to look beyond headlines and into the shadows where a child’s unseen emotions often sit quietly, waiting — sometimes too long — to be heard. As teachers and parents, we find ourselves asking the same painful questions: Who went wrong? When did it go wrong? How does a child reach a point where ending life feels easier than living it? Children today live in a world far more complicated than the one we grew up in. We like to believe that they are protected, loved, pampered, and supported — and many of them are. Yet, beneath that comfort lies a silent pressure. Their minds are overloaded with expectations, comparisons, judgments, and fears they don’t know how to explain. A child rarely says, “I am scared” or “I feel ashamed.” Instead, he withdraws, hides behind a smile, or breaks down over something...

Marriage in an age of quick endings

  Marriage in an Age of Quick Endings By Nidhi Guglani Marriage, at its best, is a shared decision to witness life together—its seasons, its silences, and its steady transformations. As an institution, it has survived centuries not because it is perfect, but because it has allowed people to grow within it, sometimes slowly, sometimes painfully, often imperfectly. I am writing this on my wedding anniversary, at a moment when two divorce cases are unfolding close to me. Standing at this intersection of celebration and separation, I find myself observing rather than judging, thinking rather than concluding. In recent times, I have seen relationships end at very different points. A marriage barely a month old, continuing despite unresolved emotional histories. Another, built over a decade or more, dissolving quietly because somewhere along the years, the effort to stay connected stopped feeling mutual. Then there is the difficult truth of a marriage that appeared pleasant on the ...

You don’t owe everyone an explanation

 You don’t owe everyone an explanation  There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from trying to make everyone understand you. Not just informing them—but ensuring they see your intention, your effort, your struggle. You explain where you were, why you did what you did, how you were managing multiple responsibilities at once. You fill in every gap, hoping that if they just knew the full story, they would respond differently. But life doesn’t always work that way. There are times when you are literally moving between responsibilities—expected in two places, answerable to different people, and unable to fully satisfy either. From the outside, it may look like inconsistency. From within, it is an honest attempt to show up wherever you are needed. And yet, not everyone sees that. Some people only see what they expect from you. They don’t see the full picture—and sometimes, they don’t try to. They want you to fit into a space they have defined, without considering that yo...